Spring Cleaning, Declutter Your Life
With spring just around the corner Live Cryo has tips to help you spring clean and declutter your life. Many people wake up after winter and the holiday season and realize their house has become quite messy and disorderly.
No worries, just get ready to put on your cleaning gloves and gather some cleaning supplies and get to work with our spring cleaning top ten list.
Why Spring Clean?
Some people may ask, “Why spring clean at all?”, and go through so much effort if it will just get messy again? Well, according to Lifehacker they reported neuroscientist from Princeton University discovered that clutter has a profound impact on our minds.
The study from Princeton University examined people’s task performance in an organized versus disorganized environment. They found that physical clutter within your surroundings “competes” for your attention, resulting in decreased performance and increased levels of stress.
Spring cleaning will not just make your home clean but will help declutter your mind and give you greater focus. Thanks to Good Housekeeping’s information on spring cleaning we have compiled our favorite top ten tips below.
Live Cryo’s Top Ten Spring Cleaning Tips
- Wash your windows when it’s cloudy outside– Washing windows in the hot sun is not the best idea. Direct sun can dry the cleanser before you can wipe it off the window which leaves streaks. Wait for a cloudy, overcast day and then give those windows a good cleaning.
- Double up on doormats– You will trap the most dirt and be most effective when using two door mats. One for inside and one for outside the doors. To clean dirty mats be sure to hose off and air-dry them and vacuum indoor mats on both sides to capture all the dirt.
- Swipe away pet fur– Removing pet hair from furniture can be a difficult and frustrating process. To make your like easier try putting on a pair of rubber gloves lightly dampened with water. Simply swipe the furniture with your gloves on and collect the pet fur for disposal.
- Wash your whole bed– Washing your bed set should be a priority at the top of your list for spring cleaning because your bed is often neglected. Pillows, comforters, pillow cases, etc… can be washed. But be sure to check the labels on how to wash these items before putting them into your washing machine.
- Dust all your forgotten places– Did you forget those hard to dust areas like lampshades and curtains? We suggest using a lint roller or simply taking items like curtains, drapes, and pillow cases and throwing them in the dryer on the “air-only” cycle for 15 minutes.
- De-lint the dryer– According to the National Fire Protection Association more than 10,000 home fires begin in laundry rooms annually. You should already be removing the fuzz from your dryer’s filter after every load. However, you can remove the fine lint that gets stuck deep inside your machine by using the crevice tool on your vacuum.
- Dig into grimy grout– To get rid of those stained spaces between grout you can use a simple trick. Mix ¾ cup household chlorine bleach with one gallon of water. Make sure to be safe and wear rubber gloves an eye protection when scrubbing with the solution. Apply to one small area at a time and let it sit for several minutes before scrubbing and rinsing off.
- Banish microwave gunk– Place a large, microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water with chopped up lemon, lime, or orange or several tablespoons of vinegar inside. Turn your microwave on high for several minutes until the water is steamy or boils. Let it sit for 15 minutes to cool before opening the door and wiping out the inside and outside of the microwave with a sponge.
- Attack dirty drains– To freshen drains and keep them unclogged ½ cup baking soda with ¼ cup table salt. Next, pour the mixture down the drain followed by one cup of heated vinegar. It will foam and bubble but let it stand for at least 15 minutes. Finally, end this process by running hot tap water for at least 15 to 30 seconds.
- Get rid of unnecessary items– If you have items such as magazines, catalogs, unused coffee mugs, or unused hangers simply get rid of them. To get rid of them you can make a trip to the recycling bin or perhaps visit a second-hand store to also get rid of them.
Live Cryo wishes you the best of luck with your spring cleaning! Remember, a clean and orderly environment can lead to greater focus and performance for your mind.